Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What's on a Mug?


What is on your mug this morning? This past summer I painted these mugs as a wedding gift for a dear young lady at our church. I created the design from a photo I took in a field of poppies by one of our highway on-ramps (by the way -- I don't recommend that! It was quite precarious!) I painted them with a special paint designed for china and then baked them in the oven per the instructions. The paint was easy enough to work with. The one big difference with this paint was that I had to be careful not to work more paint onto wet layers. Doing that would lift the previous paint up of the mug. The nice thing was that if you didn't like what you did you could wipe it off with a little rubbing alcohol.

They turned out beautifully! I recently asked her if the mugs have held up as promised --dishwasher safe, etc. She said they were still perfect, so I planned to make more of them as gifts this year.

My problem is that I can't decide what to paint! It is now 3 days before Christmas--eek! They don't take long to paint, but what to paint?? I have friends I'd like to give them to and have considered a different one for each of them... but that is a lot of deciding to do at a time when my brain is overloaded. Also, the design must be simple and graphic enough to be effective on a mug... I am thinking that another simple floral might be the way to go. I'll be off to peruse my photos now, hopefully to post some pics tomorrow!

1 comment: