Sunday, February 6, 2011

Do You Have a Pretty Mug

My mother's birthday is coming up and she commented on a picture I was painting of some lilies years ago. I never did finish the painting, but I remembered how much she liked it. So, for months I have planned to make her these coffee mugs using enamel paint made just for this purpose... I was pleased with them -- I hope she is, too!




This paint does have some significant differences than acrylics on canvas, etc. First, it dries very quickly. This leads to several issues - If you want success follow these rules:  paint fast, blend fast, mix fast, and don't be decisive - be FAST!  Second, if the paint begins to dry, it will pull off the layer of paint below it and then you are starting over.  It does however have one advantage, and that is if you mess up - it cleans right up off the mug with rubbing alcohol (actually your finger will work).  

When  you are done, the mugs air dry for at least an hour then go into a cold oven set for 375 degrees. Once it has 'cooked' for an hour at 375, the oven is turned off, but the mug remains until completely cool.  

Here are a set I made for a bridal shower gift. The bride was planning a red and turquoise kitchen! Cute. My girls are mad that I haven't made pretty mugs for us! A project for a rainy day, I guess!


No comments:

Post a Comment