Sunday, February 27, 2011

Embossing Metal

I have been working on the next art project for my coop class. I have planned this since last summer and have anxiously awaited the time to make my samples. I LOVE this. I plan to do a few more of these to hang for myself (I hope!) There are a few things I discovered which I'll share, but it is generally pretty easy and came out really cool if I do say so myself :D  Here is what I know.....


This is the back side of with the first step completed. I used a hard pencil to make the deeper lines forming the tree. It is vital that you don't use too much pressure, but gently continue to stretch the metal to the depth that you desire.

This is a closeup of the back with the front having some embossing done on it. You can see that you can easily make textures with the pencils. Knots and bark are achieved by circles and short strokes.

(ABOVE)  I then turned the metal over to the front side (black) and began to make the background. It also stretches as you go and I quickly learned that if you do that too fast, you get wrinkles : D Hence, the wrinkle in the background bottom left. There is also a "happy accident" wrinkle in the final bottom right which I was able to manipulate into a branch.

 As you work, you can really make the branches lift up and become distinct. See next two photos...

Here is the final shot. I really like how it came out and am excited about trying a different design.  It should be a fun project for my students as well! 
 If you are interested in doing this project, you can find the metal sheets on DickBlick.com.

3 comments:

  1. This looks like fabulous fun-can't wait! Co-op Friday right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Will be odd meeting on a Friday! And, yes, I think they will do well with it if they can be patient! You can stay and help and maybe make one yourself if you are teaching all day : D

    ReplyDelete